Get you up to speed: London Tube Strikes Confirmed for This Week: What You Should Know
London Underground drivers are set to strike following failed talks between the Rail, Maritime and Transport union and Transport for London over proposed changes to working hours.
Transport for London’s chief operating officer, Claire Mann, expressed disappointment over the RMT’s strike plans despite proposals aimed at improving drivers’ work-life balance.
Transport for London confirms Tube strikes will begin at 12 pm on May 19, with full service disruption expected on the Circle and Piccadilly Lines.
What we know so far
Londoners are preparing for another round of Tube strikes this week, following ongoing disputes between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and London Underground management regarding working hours. The strikes are set to disrupt services after last-minute negotiations failed to yield a resolution.
The first strike will commence at 12 pm on Tuesday, May 19, running until midday on Wednesday, May 20. A second strike will occur from midday on Thursday, May 21, until midday on Friday, May 22. During this period, the Circle and Piccadilly Lines will be suspended, along with the Central Line between White City and Liverpool Street.
While services on other lines will operate, they are expected to be less frequent and crowded. TfL confirmed that the Elizabeth Line, DLR, and London Overground would remain unaffected, though these services are likely to be busy as well. RMT asserts the proposed changes to working hours would adversely impact drivers’ welfare, while TfL maintains that any shifts implemented will not compromise safety.
TfL’s chief operating officer, Claire Mann, expressed disappointment over the strike action despite efforts to find a resolution. She stated that the proposed four-day working week is voluntary, allowing drivers who prefer the existing five-day pattern to remain unaffected. TfL is urging customers to check travel plans and allow extra time for their journeys during this period of disruption.
Read in full
London Tube strikes go ahead this week – here’s what you need to know | News UK
Londoners are bracing themselves for another round of Tube strikes this week, with many still reeling from last month’s disruption.
The strikes come after an ongoing dispute between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and London Underground bosses over Tube drivers’ condensed working hours.
Talks between the two groups have failed again, meaning strikes are set to commence this week.
The good news is that not all routes are part of the strikes.
The first planned strike will run from 12 pm on Tuesday, May 19, until midday, Wednesday, May 20.
The second walkout will be from midday, Thursday, May 21, until midday Friday, May 22.
The entire Circle and Piccadilly Lines will be suspended, along with the Central Line between White City and Liverpool Street.
Services are expected on all other lines, but they will be less frequent and very busy.
Journeys on other lines are also expected to be disrupted, and service levels will vary.
Luckily, users of the Elizabeth Line, DLR and London Overground – along with trams – won’t see disruption, but these services are also expected to be very busy.
The strike, which only includes Tube drivers who are RMT members, comes following a disagreement over working hours.
TfL has proposed to condense drivers’ five-day working week into four days of longer shifts.
Latest London news
To get the latest news from the capital, visit WTX’s London news hub.
But RMT says this would have direct consequences for drivers’ welfare, WTX‘s transport correspondent, Noora Mykkanen, previously reported.
Speaking to WTX, Jared Wood, RMT’s London lead, claimed that under the changes a driver could, in theory, start work at 3.45am and drive for five hours, then have a half-hour break before driving again for a maximum of 9.5 hours.
TfL said it would never bring in measures that would compromise safety, and added that the proposed changes would bring it in line with the shift patterns of national rail operators.
Claire Mann, TfL’s chief operating officer, said: ‘It is disappointing that the RMT is planning this strike action despite our best efforts to resolve this dispute.
‘We have been clear that our proposals for a four-day week are designed to improve work-life balance and are entirely voluntary. Any Tube driver who doesn’t wish to opt in to the new, four-day working pattern and associated changes to working arrangements can remain on a five-day working pattern.
‘We have also said many times in discussions that we believe the majority of the issues that have been raised would be resolved with more detailed work.
‘A significant number of drivers have indicated that they want us to progress plans for the pilot of this new working pattern on the Bakerloo line, and it would deliver benefits both for our colleagues and our customers. We urge the RMT to work with us so we can resolve this dispute. In the meantime, we are asking customers to check before they travel and allow plenty of extra time for their journeys.’
TfL said that the four-day working week proposal has already been accepted by Aslef, the other Tube drivers’ union.














Great article! This really puts things into perspective. I appreciate the thorough research and balanced viewpoint.
Interesting read, though I think there are some points that could have been explored further. Would love to see a follow-up on this topic.
Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea about some of these details. Definitely bookmarking this for future reference.
Well written and informative. The examples provided really help illustrate the main points effectively.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Clear, concise, and very helpful. Keep up the excellent work!